[Snort-users] Re: Argus

Richard Bejtlich taosecurity at ...11827...
Mon Jul 26 14:46:09 EDT 2004

Juan Fernandex wrote:

What u think about argus installations ?
--

Hi Juan,

Are you referring to Argus from http://www.qosient.com/argus ?

That Argus is probably the most famous security tool by that name.  It
is a session record generation and analysis suite developed by Carter
Bullard since  1993.

I see someone registered the "Argus NIDS" at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anids/ on 14 July 2004, saying:

"Looks like sf approved the registration for argus. Should have the
first beta/semi-stable version up for download when I get back from
orientation this weekend, and a new update should follow shortly after
that release.

djrand"

Looks like djrand didn't do any research before choosing the "Argus" name.  :)

I cover Argus in chapters 7 and 15 of my book "The Tao of Network
Security Monitoring: Beyond Intrusion Detection," which just appeared
in stores in the US this week.

Sincerely,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com