[Snort-users] Snort - Fatal Error

Mon Jul 26 06:59:08 EDT 2004

Try logging on to mysql as the snort user and make sure it has access.
That might be your problem.  Go over the section that does the access
grants to the snort user again

-----Original Message-----
From: Shankar [mailto:list at ...12177...]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 7:14 AM
To: prabu; Snort-Users
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort - Fatal Error

On Monday, July 26, 2004 4:52 PM prabu wrote:
>To: Shankar; Snort-Users
>Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort - Fatal Error Hello Shankar,
>      First tell about your database configuration.I guess that u might
have
>not commented the (/etc/snort/snort.conf:453 line,since it is used for
>enabling log alerts to syslog.U should comment this line,if u want to
enable
>the databes loggging,since that line of the config file specifies to
>alert the output of logs to syslog.

>if u r using databes logging ,then ur snort.conf should have line as,
>for example,output database: log, mysql, dbname=snort user=root
>host=localhost password=kovai

dear prabu,

Thx for the mail/help. My database configuration is as below output
database: log, mysql, user=snort password=mypassword dbname=snort
host=localhost i use user snort instead of root.

# mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 26 to server version: 3.23.58

mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| mysql    |
| snort    |
| test     |
+----------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> use snort
Reading table information for completion of table and column names You
can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
mysql> show tables;
+------------------+
| Tables_in_snort  |
+------------------+
| acid_ag          |
| acid_ag_alert    |
| acid_event       |
| acid_ip_cache    |
| data             |
| detail           |
| encoding         |
| event            |
| flags            |
| icmphdr          |
| iphdr            |
| opt              |
| protocols        |
| reference        |
| reference_system |
| schema           |
| sensor           |
| services         |
| sig_class        |
| sig_reference    |
| signature        |
| tcphdr           |
| udphdr           |
+------------------+
23 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

If i comment the Output line and type #snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
then process hangs here and i dont get my # prompt back need to break
it(ctrl^c)
   --== Initialization Complete ==--

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 2.1.3 (Build 27)