[Snort-users] BPF filters for the intimidated

Jeff Dell jdell at ...1095...
Fri Jul 23 12:19:03 EDT 2004

I don't know of a tutorial, but you can read about BPF (Berkeley Packet
Filter) on the TCPDump man page at: http://www.tcpdump.org/tcpdump_man.html

You will quickly see that there is really no need to know hex unless you are
doing some complex filtering...

Cheers,
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Paul Schmehl
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 2:16 PM
To: Snort-User Mailing List
Subject: [Snort-users] BPF filters for the intimidated

Does anyone know a good source for a tutorial on BFP filters?  Reading the
man page has me crossing my eyes and growning.

I want to capture udp packets on port 53 to one host, including the entire
payload.  I've figured out the hex address for the host, but the rest
escapes me.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas