[Snort-users] BPF filters for the intimidated

Joshua Berry jberry at ...11848...
Fri Jul 23 12:01:04 EDT 2004

If you only want to capture UDP ports destined to a specific host on
port 53 here is an example (where host = 1.1.1.1):

(udp && dst host 1.1.1.1 && port 53)

So you could do this with Tcpdump:

/usr/sbin/tcpdump -vvvxXi <ethX> 'udp && dst host 1.1.1.1 && port 53'

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Paul
Schmehl
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 1:16 PM
To: Snort-User Mailing List
Subject: [Snort-users] BPF filters for the intimidated

Does anyone know a good source for a tutorial on BFP filters?  Reading
the
man page has me crossing my eyes and growning.

I want to capture udp packets on port 53 to one host, including the
entire
payload.  I've figured out the hex address for the host, but the rest
escapes me.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas