[Snort-users] Snort and TCP Traffic

Thu Jul 22 16:04:03 EDT 2004

Are you just seeing arp and broadcast? If so you are most likely on just
a standard switch port

Patrick S. Harper | CISSP RHCT MCSE
Information Security Engineer
patrick.harper at ...11593...

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith W. McCammon [mailto:mccammon at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 1:24 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort and TCP Traffic

Not picking it up and not having it show up someplace else (a reporting
tool) may be two entirely different issues.  Unless you've used BPF or
the like to dismiss TCP traffic, it's highly unlikely that Snort is 1)
running and analyzing traffic AND 2) simply ignoring the TCP stuff.

Are you using any type of BPF filters?

Are you seeing events generated by IP, ICMP, UDP, etc.?

Perhaps you should try starting Snort from the command line, with
minimal options, binary logging, etc. and see what it picks up.  The
suggestion that it could be picking up everything *but* TCP  (unless
configured to do so) is hard to swallow.  Unless configured otherwise,
the capture function is pretty much all or nothing--not "some."