[Snort-users] Can't seem to compile with --enable-flexresp on RedHat 9

Rhugga snort-list at ...12135...
Fri Jul 16 13:41:00 EDT 2004

Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 01:08 PM 7/15/2004, Rhugga wrote:
>
>> When I add the --enable-flexresp option to configure it dies with
>> this error:
>>
>> checking for libnet.h... yes
>> checking for libnet version 1.0.2a... ./configure: line 1:
>> libnet-config: command not found

>>   ERROR: unable to find libnet 1.0.2a (libnet.h)
>>   checked in the following places
>>
>> Do I need the an older libnet, or am I missing part of the package or
>> what? I installed the libnet-1.1.0-fr2.i386.rpm for Red Hat 9.
>

> Currently flexresp works with libnet 1.0.2a, only. It doesn't work
> with newer, or older versions.
>
> The config file in 2.2.0-RC1 is much more explicit about this than the
> older released versions:
>
>       echo "   ERROR!  Snort with --enable-flexresp will *only* work
> with"
>       echo "   libnet version 1.0.2a, go get it from"
>       echo "   http://www.packetfactory.net/projects/libnet/"

Okay thanks all. What exactly does flexible response allow me to do that
I can't do with snort by default? (as I understand snort can execute
scripts based on matches and with scripts can't you do everything????)

Thx,
Rhugga