[Snort-users] RE: problem with suppress...

sekure sekure at ...11827...
Fri Jul 16 06:21:12 EDT 2004

Graeme,

Let's leave the http_inspect alone for a second, it has its own
issues.  I heard it was fixed (FPs a LOT less), but i haven't had a
chance to try it yet myself.  If you are sure that you don't want to
receive ANY alerts from the http_inspect preprocessor itself, just add
no_alerts to the config parameters.

Anyways, suppress and pass work in two very different yet similar
ways.  It really depends on you which you want to use.  Let me just
say that if you use suppress incorrectly, at the very worst you might
miss one type of alert.  If you use pass incorrectly, you might miss
all alerts.  So be careful.

Given your scenario, if you don't want to be alerted on any traffic
coming from your partners, then go ahead and use "pass" or better yet
define a BPF filter to completely ignore it before snort even takes a
look at it.  If on the other hand you do want to analyze traffic from
your partners, use suppress for most things, unless you run into an
issue that can't be solved with it, then use "pass".

Let me give you an example: I have a few internal proxies set up
listening on ports 1080 and 8080.  This was generating a lot of alerts
of "SCAN Socks Proxy" type whenever a client tried to connect (SYN
packet).  I could have set up a pass rule to ignore all traffice to
port 1080 or 8080, but that would have missed a LOT of other stuff
that i wasn't willing to give up.  Instead I set up a suppress
statement that suppresses that particular alert to those particular
proxy servers.  Nice and neat.

Another scenario is where I know I have a lot of ICMP traffic flying
around on the inside of my network.  And Snort has a LOT of ICMP
signatures, even for just ECHO (a subset of ICMP).  I think there are
32 different signatures to identify the many different ICMP
requests/replies.  I could have set up 32 individual suppress
statements, or I just set up a pass rule to pass all ICMP traffic with
itype of 8 (ECHO).

You see what i am saying?  Suppress is for suppressing individual
rules, pass CAN be used for that as well, but it's much better for
suppressing broader types of traffic. I hope this makes it clearer.

If you have more specific questions, please post a sample of traffic
you are trying to ignore, and what suppress or pass rules you are
currently using.

HTH