[Snort-users] Snort Dynamic Link Library packet.dll error

Rich Adamson radamson at ...2127...
Wed Jul 14 13:48:06 EDT 2004

> I am attempting to instal and run Snort on Windows XP.  When I try to start Snort in dos,
I receive the
> following error: The procedure entry point PacketGetInfo could not be located in the
dynamic link library
> packet.dll.  Can someone help me?

The above is a result of WinPcap drivers. You probably installed
the latest version (which doesn't work with snort).

Download the v3 code, deinstall the old driver, install v3 and "reboot".
It won't work correctly unless you reboot.

Just finished the same on an XP Pro box (an hour ago), and a Win2003
box with dual processors. Both are working fine.

Rich