[Snort-users] Problems installing Barnyard

Dirk Geschke dirk at ...10648...
Wed Jul 14 02:55:00 EDT 2004

Hi Barry,

> I'm trying to install Barnyard with mysql enabled.
>
> ./configure --enable-mysql
>
> I keep getting the following message
>
> checking for mysql_real_connect in -lmysqlclient... no

>   ERROR: unable to find mysqlclient library
>   checked in the following places
>               /usr/lib/mysql
>
> I've double checked and the path to the mysql library is correct.  I've
> installed snort and a few other tools that use mysql and they all work fine.
>
> I'm running SuSE Linux.

probably you have the dynamic library of libmysql installed in
/usr/lib/mysql. The linking of dynamic libraries is a little bit
different than the static library.

The easiest solution is to add /usr/lib/mysql to /etc/ld.so.conf
and invoke "ldconfig". I guess this will solve this problem.

Otherwise take a look at config.log and find the real reason why
it does not find the library. Maybe some header files are not at
the right place...

Best regards

Dirk