[Snort-users] silicondefense.com not answering

Stuart Staniford stuart at ...12098...
Tue Jul 13 09:21:14 EDT 2004

Unfortunately, Silicon Defense is no more.

The company was primarily a DARPA research shop (80% of our 2002 revenue was
from DARPA).  In particular, Spade, Snortsnarf, libidmef etc were all paid
for by DARPA originally.  (DARPA is the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency and does a variety of forward looking research projects, including
funding the original development of the Internet protocols).

Unfortunately, under the current administration, DARPA pretty much stopped
funding any unclassified research in network security towards the end of
2002 beginning of 2003.  Silicon Defense's DARPA funding entirely ceased in
that timeframe, and despite heroic efforts on the part of all the staff that
worked there, we were not able to find a way to survive that transition.

We did negotiate transfer of our Sentarus business to Demarc in order to
give our customers a path forward, and Demarc also took rights to the
copyrights to Spade and Snortsnarf.  The plan was that they would support
them on an ongoing basis, but I'm not sure to what extent they've really
been able to do that.

Stuart
(speaking as Former President of Silicon Defense)

Stuart Staniford, Principal Scientist
Nevis Networks
stuart at ...12098...
408-327-4652