[Snort-users] Snort Rules Help

Cunningham, Andy acunningham at ...12091...
Fri Jul 9 09:27:29 EDT 2004

Hi there.

Can someone help with a problem I'm having trying to write snort rules.

I have a series of rules to either pass legitimate traffic or alert on
certain events.  Finally I have a catch all rule to alert on any packet
not covered by the above.  I've changed the rule order with -o so that
pass rules have the desired effect, and this seems to be working.

pass udp $SRC any <> $DEST $PORT (classtype:ignore)
alert ip any any -> any any (msg: "Unexpected unclassified traffic";
classtype: unexpected-traffic; )

These rules work fine for most of the traffic, but when I get a
fragmented UDP packet come through, the fragment causes the altert to be
generated.

I've tried adding a fragoffset:0 into the rule to only altert if it's
the first fragment, but it doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance