[Snort-users] Installing Snort on a Red Hat 8 or 9

Joshua Berry jberry at ...11848...
Fri Jul 2 06:46:12 EDT 2004

You are grepping for libcap, what you need is libpcap.  rpm -qa | grep libpcap, see if that is installed.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at ...3204...ts.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Alberto García Gómez
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 2:34 AM
To: Nick Oliver; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Installing Snort on a Red Hat 8 or 9

Check This

checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... no

   ERROR!  Libpcap library/headers not found, go get it from
   http://www.tcpdump.org
   or use the --with-libpcap-* options, if you have it installed
   in unusual place
this happen when I make a configure of snort

and now check this

# rpm -qa | grep libcap
libcap-1.10-12

I have installed(By system default) this ver of libcap, but snort is asking me by a lower ver of it, and my question is How I can use my installed version instead the lower that snort need?

Even when I use the param --with-libpcap-includes or --with-libpcap-libraries and I give it the path of the libraries the error persist