[Snort-users] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

twig les twigles at ...131...
Fri Feb 27 15:06:06 EST 2004

--- ypwhich <ypwhich at ...11276...> wrote:
> Chances are Linux and SNORT are behaving.  You may be reading
> the output
> of "free -t" or "procinfo" incorrectly....which is easy to do,
> especially
> if coming to Linux from a Win32s environment.  The two systems
> manage
> memory differently.
>
> Unless you're noticing a major performance hit after killing
> SNORT,
> chances are you're fine.  If you like copy the output of "free
> -t" to
> email after killing SNORT, will have a look at it.
>
> -yp

The easiest way (IMO) to tell is to use top.  Here's my output:
  PID USERNAME     PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU
  CPU COMMAND
  145 snort          4   0 40904K 39128K bpf    0  90:45  0.59%
0.59% snort

So my proc is using ~40 megs of memory.

=====