[Snort-users] RE: [Snort-devel] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

Kumar, Manoj kumarm at ...10805...
Fri Feb 27 08:32:13 EST 2004

Guys,
Thanks for your reply. It seems to be a problem with Linux OS. We sent the same issue to Linux users mailing list and we got back the reply that
"I regularly see people, on this
list and on others, misinterpret memory-usage reports to infer the presence
of memory leaks where none exist. For example, if you are using "free" to
check memory use, you should be using the second line of its output, not
its first. And if you are using "top" ... don't; use "free" instead. As
reported by "top" or the first line of "free", memory usage on any Linux
system will always increase until almost 100% of real (not swap) memory is
"in use" ... but that's just kernel buffering at work, not a real tying up
of RAM, and does not indicate a system or application problem."

So,basically,it's a normal behaviour for Linux to consume all the physical memory.It has nothing to do with SNORT.

So,it seems our SNORT is behaving as it should :)

Manoj

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Macdonald [mailto:ism at ...11147...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 6:06 PM
To: Kumar, Manoj
Cc: Jeremy Hewlett; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net;
snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net; snort-announce at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-devel] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

The first thing that seems odd is that the memory doesn't free up after
killing the process. Normally all memory would be released on application
termination. When you say memory doesn't free what item are you looking
at?
One thing you might want to do is try killing other applications to see if
they are the ones that are stealing the memory. You may even want to
remove the loaded modules one by one incase the memory leak is in the
network driver module.
The only other thing of the top of my head is that machine is swapping so
much that it takes time for the OS to swap out the memory from disk to
allow it to be released?
Have you tried it on a different OS or Kernel?