[Snort-users] 2.1.0 compile problems...

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Mon Feb 23 21:15:05 EST 2004

> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:51:44 -0600
> From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan at ...2134...>
> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Snort-users] 2.1.0 compile problems and primary development
platform

> A year or two ago, I decided to use FreeBSD as my sensor platform based
> on hearing (or thinking that I'd heard) Marty developed on FreeBSD first
> and then ported elsewhere.  I reasoned that I should be able to compile
> easily and it should be (theoretically) more stable running on the same
> platform that snort was originally coded on.

My understanding is that WAS correct.

> Well, I'm fianally getting around to building 2.1.0, and I'm getting
> comile errors.  I'm in the process of applying code changes that I found
> from earlier threads, but its got me wondering: If snort is developed
> first on FreeBSD, there shouldn't (theoretically) be any compile
> problems.  This lead me to wonder, on what platform does snort coding
> occur now?

Can't help with the error, but my understanding NOW is that Marty uses OS X...
So, kinda still BSD, but not really.  (Generalizing, no flames please. :-)

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?