[Snort-users] Snort on Linux with no IP

Grejda, Eric EGrejda at ...10102...
Mon Feb 23 05:44:08 EST 2004

How many network interfaces do you have in your Snort sensor?  On Linux
machines, interface numbering starts at zero.  If you only have one NIC
installed, you'd have to reference eth0:

ifconfig eth0 up

--
Eric Grejda

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian McNeilly [mailto:bmcneilly at ...9344...]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 7:23 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort on Linux with no IP

I apologise in advance for the newbie question, which undoubtedly has been
discussed to death already. Before you send me to the FAQ, here is the
relevant snippit from there:

3.1 How do I setup snort on a 'stealth' interface?

  *BSD and Linux:

    ifconfig eth1 up

OK, so I do this and the response I get is: eth1: unknown interface: No such
device

Can anyone elaborate on the rather limited response found in the FAQ for
this issue? Is seems to me that many people have asked about this before,
but there never has been an appropriate explanation put into the FAQ (I've
just spent the entire afternoon reading mail archives to no avail). Sorry if
I'm just stupid, but the FAQ isn't really helpful on this issue.