[Snort-users] Compiling mysql support into snort and barnyard

Dirk Geschke Dirk_Geschke at ...1344...
Mon Feb 23 00:31:06 EST 2004

Hi Mark,

> I'm having difficulties compiling mysql support into snort and barnyard. =
> The
> various include and library files are located at:
>
> /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h
>
> and
>
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a
>
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.la
>
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so

[...]

> snort's configure reports that it finds both the include file and the
> libraries, but then fails to include them in the build (i.e., when snort
> runs with a database output specification it fails). Barnyard can't find =
> the
> library files, although it can find the include file.

this sounds as that neither snort nor barnyard find the libraries.

I guess you have linked the libraries dynamically. Try to set either
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mysql snort ...

or (depending on your OS) add the path to /etc/ld.so.conf and invoke
ldconfig once.

Note: You don't need mysql support in snort if you want to use
barnyard with mysql.

Best regards

Dirk