[Snort-users] Please post a good Nachi.B Signature

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...294...
Sun Feb 22 14:05:06 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:48:27PM -0500, Erek Adams wrote:
> *  (personal, so no flames needed)--NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER consider an
> IDS as something to deal with/help with/mitigate a virus problem.

I think you are selling IDS short there.

We have VERY SUCCESSFULLY used our Snort network for real-time alerting of
virus/trojan outbreaks. We have serious muscle on our network with AV
systems - both server and client - but still there's the opportunity for
viruses to get onto test boxes/etc.

Snort has been massively useful as a first-line alerting system to virus
outbreaks - in fact our helpdesk think the IDS is a "network AV system" :-}

I know that is not meant to be what an IDS is for - but this has become a
serendipitous side-effect of installing Snort world wide for us...

Oh yeah - banging out Samba honeypots has also helped a lot...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417