[Snort-users] Snort on Linux with no IP

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Fri Feb 20 17:29:04 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Brian McNeilly wrote:

> I apologise in advance for the newbie question, which undoubtedly has
> been discussed to death already. Before you send me to the FAQ, here is
> the relevant snippit from there:
>
> 3.1 How do I setup snort on a 'stealth' interface?
>
>   *BSD and Linux:
>
>     ifconfig eth1 up
>
> OK, so I do this and the response I get is: eth1: unknown interface: No
> such device

Well, your box is telling you that you don't have eth1 as an interface.
When the NIC was installed, did the box ever see it?  Does the NIC really
exist in the box?  Is the NIC name something else besides eth1?  Something
like xe1, xl1, hme1, etc?

Can you see it listed in a dmesg?  Try "dmesg | grep address" and see what
that gives you.

> Can anyone elaborate on the rather limited response found in the FAQ for
> this issue? Is seems to me that many people have asked about this before,
> but there never has been an appropriate explanation put into the FAQ
> (I've just spent the entire afternoon reading mail archives to no avail).
> Sorry if I'm just stupid, but the FAQ isn't really helpful on this issue.

No, not stupid.  You question is really more about "Why doesn't the OS see
my new or second NIC?" than "How do I get it to work without an IP?"
Subtle difference, but different all the same.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams

 "It looks just like a Telefunken U-47.  You'll love it..."  -- Frank Zappa