[Snort-users] Snort in VMware

M. Morgan mikemorgan at ...468...
Thu Feb 19 10:31:03 EST 2004

Yeah, I thought that was obvious enough.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff <jcoppock1 at ...5068...>
Sent: Feb 18, 2004 7:48 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort in VMware

M. Morgan, 2004-Feb-18 14:49 -0500:

>     You need to have snort plugged into a "spanned" or "mirrored" port for it
>    to see all of the traffic on that hub/switch/router. You should be able to
>    use "tcpdump" in Red Hat to get a look at the real time traffic on your
>    eth card.

Actually, you would need a mirrored port on a switch since switches
bridge between ports, and a router since routers either bridge or
route between ports.  But, mirroring is not done on hubs since hubs
repeat all traffic to every port.

Just a minor knitpick clarification...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User