[Snort-users] Re: ARPSpoof!

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...950...
Tue Feb 17 20:21:01 EST 2004

Andrew,

I'm afraid you don't understand what arpspoofing is.

Let me explain what the preprocessor is designed to do and why your
tests are never going to generate arpspoof alerts.

When computers communicate using IP over Ethernet, it is often
necessary to determine the Ethernet, or layer 2, address of an IP
address.

Regardless of whether your packets must be routed through an IP router,
or your computer is physically connected to the same Ethernet as
another computer, the next hop address (in the case of routing), or the
destination address (in the case of being directly connected) must be
determined at layer 2.

Before your computer can send IP packets to another, it consults its
routing table.  If the destination must be reached through a router,
your computer will send the IP packets through the router, if it is
directly connected your computer will simply send the packets directly
to the destination.

ARP, or Address Resolution Protocol, figures out the hardware (Ethernet
in most cases) address of an IP address.  Whether routing or delivering
Ethernet frames directly to another computer, the hardware address of
the destination or router must be determined.

Your computer will send an ARP request to the Ethernet broadcast
address (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) asking for the hardware address associated
with that IP address.  If a system is connected to the network and
assigned that IP address, it is expected to answer by sending an ARP
reply back to your computer containing its hardware address.

The configuration of the arpspoof preprocessor requires that you
specify an IP address/ethernet address pair for a given host.  If the
preprocessor observes an ARP frame where the SENDER IP address matches
one of the configuration entries you have added to snort.conf and the
SENDER hardware address does not match the configuration, an alert is
generated.

Here is the basic logic:

In snort.conf you have an IP address A / Ethernet address X pair in
snort.conf

IF snort sees an ARP frame where the sender is IP address A
     IF the Ethernet address is *NOT* X
         THEN snort generates an alert

Let me dissect your tests.  First, your configuration specifies two
IP/mac address pairs to monitor:
preprocessor arpspoof_detect_host: 192.168.4.100 00:20:ED:00:CC:78
preprocessor arpspoof_detect_host: 192.168.4.68 00:02:B3:62:8C:D6

the tcpdump formatted file you sent me contains only two ARP frames:

(mangler):~/Desktop/tcpdump$ 22: tcpdump -entvvr ethereal.log arp | more
00:02:b3:a4:97:5a ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 0806 60: arp who-has 192.168.4.68
tell 192.168.4.25
00:02:b3:62:8c:d6 00:02:b3:a4:97:5a 0806 60: arp reply 192.168.4.68
is-at 00:02:b3:62:8c:d6

First, it is important to notice that ARP frames are seen for
192.168.4.68 ONLY.  No ARP frames are seen for the other IP address.
Second, as observed from the tcpdump output, the hardware address in
the ARP frames *MATCHES* the hardware address you have specified in
your configuration.  Therefore, there is nothing to alert on.

By specifying an IP address/Ethernet address pair in snort.conf, you
are instructing Snort to alert when it sees a *DIFFERENT* hardware
address for that IP address, and not when it sees the correct hardware
address.

I would love to explain this in more detail, but I think you would
benefit greatly from reading up on ARP before I elaborate too much
more.  Please, before you use spp_arpspoof please ensure you know what
it is intended to do.

Regards,

- -Jeff

- --