[Snort-users] Block

Frank Knobbe frank at ...9761...
Mon Feb 16 14:51:06 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 16:23, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I would like to add a caution to this.  If you are going to use clamav, do
> not depend on it as your only gateway defense.  Use it as part of a more
> complete strategy.  Recent testing by an authoritative source shows that
> clamav only catches about 50% of the in-the-wild viruses.  (This is really
> off topic for snort, so if you want to discuss the details, email me off
> list.)

Uhm, I'm not sure about that, Paul. I've heard from folks that caught
new viruses with Clamav before Norton got it. Matter the fact, just
recently there was a posting somewhere (I'm sure you've seen that since
you are on most lists) that showed that clamav had a signature for it
first.

I have nothing but pleasant experience with clamav. I can't believe how
well it works for being OpenSource.

Cheers,
Frank