[Snort-users] Please virus scan your systems

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Feb 11 14:03:02 EST 2004

At 02:30 PM 2/11/2004, Bryan Irvine wrote:
>about the only virus that can get through this list is the honor system
>virus, whereupon receiving it, you delete a bunch of random files,
>forward the emal, and reboot.

He was not suggesting it went through the list Bryan. He was suggesting one
or more people who get messages from this list might be infected.

And quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me.. I've seen a couple of a posts
on this list from people more-or-less completely unaware of security issues.

>Those virus alert are most likely the cause of someone you've emailed
>sometime in your life getting mydoom or a similar virus.

ie: any snort-users subscriber would be in the list of potentials, since
he's emailed all of us. (and did so back on 2/9 as well).

However, as someone else pointed out, there's usenet and web archives too,
increasing the list of possible infectees beyond direct subscribers.