[Snort-users] Please virus scan your systems

Matt Southworth snort-users at ...9304...
Wed Feb 11 13:35:06 EST 2004

Bryan Irvine <bryan.irvine at ...9066...> wrote on Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:30:14AM -0800:
¡ about the only virus that can get through this list is the honor system
¡ virus, whereupon receiving it, you delete a bunch of random files,
¡ forward the emal, and reboot.
¡
¡ Those virus alert are most likely the cause of someone you've emailed
¡ sometime in your life getting mydoom or a similar virus.  It's pretty
¡ simple to tell if it came from this list, look for attachements.
¡
¡ It's a coincidence move on.

I've got to say this doesn not coincide with my experience. Starting
about 2 weeks ago I've received more than a dozen infected emails to
the address I use ONLY for snort-users (see above...) - this adress
only appears on google in archives of the mailing list. It could be
spam harvested from that, I suppose, but I think it's more likely
that someone who at one time subscribed to this list is or was
infected.

It's the virus masquerading as an MS "February 2004, Cumulative Patch".

It doesn't come *through* the list, but from a subscriber who's
also an idiot.

-Matt

I tried to view the attachment but Mutt said
application/x-msdownload is unsupported ...

--
Matthew Southworth
B621 BA09 2169 953A 44F0  B0EB 12C2 656D 0DE0 CEEC