[Snort-users] SNORT (Linux) / MySQL (Win32)

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Wed Feb 11 10:10:06 EST 2004

> From: "MVIBE" <mvibe at ...11173...>
> To: "Snort Users List" <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Snort-users] SNORT (Linux) / MySQL (Win32)
> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:39:37 -0600
>
> Bottom line. I am learning Linux Security. I need to learn how to run things
> from Linux as much as possible.

This is a Good Thing, but ideally I would NOT choose my most basic security
device (i.e. gateway/firewall) as a platform on which to learn and experiment.
It is possible to make catastrophic mistakes on any OS and firewall platform,
but some are easier to screw up than others, PIX and IPTables come to mind...
If you have the luxury, learn on something non critical. :-)