[Snort-users] SNORT (Linux) / MySQL (Win32)

MVIBE mvibe at ...11173...
Mon Feb 9 15:51:43 EST 2004

To keep it simple.
I have a small network. MySQL is active on a WIN32 Box, has been for
sometime now for some web development.
I am interested in running SNORT, but wish to do this from one of my Linux
Firewall.
I know that to compile SNORT with MySQL support I am to use the --with-mysql
configure switch.

The problem I am encountering is that for this switch to work, ./configure
needs to find the mysql.h header file.
So I thought by making a share of the MySQL Folder and including the
Share/Folder within the switch (i.e. --with-mysql=//computer/share/folder)
that it would work. This did appear to work, as configure/make/make install
did complete successfully. But when I run 'SNORT -c /etc/snort/snort.conf' -
I receive the error that SNORT has not been compile with MySQL Support?

What am I missing, Is this possible (ie running SNORT on Linux with MySQL on
Win32)?

THanks

"Mark Twain was once quoted as saying that he never allowed
schooling to interfere with his education. That is, he believed he learned
more from his experiences than he ever learned in the classroom."