[Snort-users] MyDoom Outbound Impossible Detects

John York YorkJ at ...7109...
Fri Feb 6 14:18:49 EST 2004

I had the same problem.  I used the 4 rules that were posted here to
detect MyDoom outbound, and got quite "concerned" when I saw them alert
on email coming out of my mail server.  After I traced the messages in
the server logs and found that they were NDR answers to inbound MyDoom
messages, my blood pressure came back down.  I still have the rules in
place in case one of my workstations gets infected, but I ignore the
ones from my mailserver.
Thanks
John

John York
Network Engineer
Blue Ridge Community College
1 College Lane, Weyers Cave, VA 24486
540.453.2255

E-
> Mail
> >Filter). Note that I'm not virus filtering outbound traffic. That's
> >something I intend to remedy as soon as I have budget for doing so.
The
> >destination IP address of the packets is one of a number of external
> >Internet email servers.
>
> You could be seeing bounces (aka NDRs) when the worm tries to mail a
> non-existent account, and your mail server sends a bounce to the
sender,
> with a copy of the original email.
>
> Check your mail logs for a corresponding inbound entry, then an entry
> saying the user didn't exist, then an entry to deliver the NDR back to
the
> (forged) sender.
>
> If you use sendmail, you should (in theory) be able to grep for the
SMTP