[Snort-users] Port scans not showing up in ACID.

John Creegan jcreegan at ...9729...
Thu Feb 5 10:34:04 EST 2004

Mine does, but not until the percentage of portscan traffic reaches at
least 1 percent of total traffic (see the function
PrintProtocolProfileGraphs in the acid_common.php page.)  Also, I'm
using the newer portscan2 preprocessor.  It appears you're using the
original portscan preprocessor.

>>> "Michael Steele" <michaels at ...9077...> 02/05/04 11:53AM >>>
John,

Thanks for offering to look at this. We have just updated to 2.1.0.

In ACID if I view the entire list of alerts I can see the portscans.

----------\
spp\_portscan: portscan status from 69.56.144.70: 7 connections across
1
hosts: TCP(7), UDP(0)
----------/

Shouldn't this alert show up in the "Portscan Traffic (%)" group on the
home
page of ACID?

I updated from 2.0.6 to 2.1.0 and added my 2.06 portscan line back into
the
snort.conf but Snort fails to show the portscans in the "Portscan
Traffic
(%)" group on the ACID homepage.

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 \IDS\Snort\log\portscan.log

The log is being created and populated. I think this is the same
situation
as the rest are reporting.

I realize that the developers left the "preprocessor portscan:"
variable out
of the snort.conf config file but left in the code that still deals
with it.
Is there a way to set the new preprocessor for portscans that will
allow the
alerts to show up in ACID and do away with the old "preprocessor
portscan:"
line in the snort.conf.

Kindest regards,

The WINSNORT.com Management Team