[Snort-users] SNORT and Linux 8.0

Shaffer, Paul D paul.d.shaffer at ...178...
Mon Feb 2 12:05:27 EST 2004

I normally just read and don't post much to this list, simply because I do not consider myself an "expert" in this crowd.  Despite about three years of using Snort professionally, I have little offer here.  "Michael" is obviously reading and posting to this list, as evidenced by his truly inane question.

So "clearly(?)" I would not offer benefit of the doubt in the higher level consultancy realm.  Do those types subscribe to this list?  Even some techies find it annoyingly verbose at times (As am I - annoyingly verbose, that is).  My conclusion was of the scarier type.  So...

If I'm right, hopefully now Michael has taken a step back, looked at some FAQs, read a doc or two and started off in the right direction.  And if we are lucky, we'll be the better for it, list, clients and all.

I apologize for the original flame, but in my defense it "was" Monday morning with a full inbox...

How many drinks, Erek?
-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of robert schwartz
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 11:27 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] SNORT and Linux 8.0

Please, this is clearly some style of "management consultant" or "efficiency expert" not a technology consultant so give him a break.  There are a lot of consultants that are not technology consultants out there doing "Business Process Re-Design" or other cruft.  They want to know if "version X" of product "Y" works on platform "Z" so they can add a decision layer to the technologists recommondations.  We've all seen this sort of thing before from management.  And in a Windows world, software versioning and operating system revision / patch levels are very important for application compatibility, so for someone unfamiliar with Open Source this is a very logical question.  The answer is:

Question:  Does anyone know what version of Snort will run on Linux 8.0?
Answer:  YES

Although the answer probably won't help much until a better question emerges.

If this person IS a technology consultant however, then this is truly one of the most chilling questions I've ever seen.... at once showing a fundamental and complete lack of understanding of UNIX, Linux, SNORT, open source software in general, compiling software in specific, and intrusion detection....

It is like a Windows home user deciding that they were a security expert one day after learning how the MS Patch Updater tool works level of scary, and then you are justified in trying to protect the reputation of those of us who ARE professionals by making a stink on this list.