[Snort-users] mysql on another box?

Sean Brown sblinux at ...9344...
Tue Aug 31 19:19:02 EDT 2004

On August 31, 2004 8:28 am, Larry Wichman wrote:
> I am trying to get snort to log to another box that has MySQL on it and the
> box that has Snort does not have MYSQL. It does not seem to be logging to
> it. I get the following error when  I start Snort w/ snort -c
> /etc/snort/snort.conf:
>

> Initializing rule chains...
>
> database: compiled support for ( )
>
> database: configured to use mysql
>
> database: 'mysql' support is not compiled into this build of snort
>

> Do I still have to have MYSQL running on the sensor even though tit is
> logging somewhere else?
>
> Here is what I put in snort.conf to tell it to log to the other box:
>
> output database:log,mysql,user=snort password=Ournetwork* dbname=root
> host=10.25
>
> 5.55.11
It seems that MySQL support was not built into your binary. You need to have
the MySQL-Client library and headers on the Snort machine and have a snort
binary that was compiled with mysql support. For instance if you have two
rpms, one will be named snort-[verson].rpm and snort-mysql-[version].rpm you
would need the snort-mysql and mysql-client packages installed.

-Sean Brown