[Snort-users] mysql on another box?

James Riden j.riden at ...11179...
Tue Aug 31 14:48:00 EDT 2004

Larry Wichman <larrywichman at ...131...> writes:

>    Initializing rule chains...
>
>    database: compiled support for ( )
>
>    database: configured to use mysql
>
>    database: 'mysql' support is not compiled into this build of snort

You need to have compiled with --with-mysql, or grab a prebuilt RPM,
or whatever is appropriate for your platform.

>    Do I still have to have MYSQL running on the sensor even though tit is
>    logging somewhere else?

I'm using postgresql, but I'd guess you'd need some mysql rpms with
-client- and/or -common- in the name. But the database doesn't have to
be running on the sensor.

>    Here is what I put in snort.conf to tell it to log to the other box:
>
>    output database:log,mysql,user=snort password=Ournetwork* dbname=root
>    host=10.255.55.11

I have a vision of hundreds of script kiddies trying to crack
10.255.55.11 and wondering why it's not working :)

--
James Riden / j.riden at ...11179... / Systems Security Engineer