[Snort-users] Snort, Swatch, and perl modules

Ciprian Badescu ciprianbadescu at ...131...
Mon Aug 30 22:33:00 EDT 2004

--- "Michael.Spotz at ...194..."
<Michael.Spotz at ...194...> wrote:

> I've successfully installed and configured Snort on
> a Solaris8 server.  I would like to use Swatch to
> send emails.  Swatch requires four specific perl
> modules.  I successfully installed the TimeDate
> module.  I tried installing the Date-Calc module.
> The command perl Makefile.PL worked fine.  The
> command make resulted in the following messages:
>
> mkdir blib
> mkdir blib/lib
> mkdir blib/lib/Date
> mkdir blib/arch
> mkdir blib/arch/auto
> mkdir blib/arch/auto/Date
> mkdir blib/arch/auto/Date/Calc
> mkdir blib/lib/auto
> mkdir blib/lib/auto/Date
> mkdir blib/lib/auto/Date/Calc
> mkdir blib/man3
> cp Calc.pm blib/lib/Date/Calc.pm
> /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris
> -I/usr/perl5/5.00503 /usr/perl5c
> cc -c   -xO3 -xdepend     -DVERSION=\"4.3\"
> -DXS_VERSION=\"4.3\" -KPIC -I/usr/c
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not
> installed
Hi,

a fast trick is to search in Makefile generated after
perl Makefile.PL, and to replace the switches which
are generated for Sun's C compiler with the ones for
Gnu C compiler(I suppose you are using Gnu C). It will
be the -xO3 replaced with -O, and -KIPC replaced with
-fpic.

There is another solution to notify perl that you are
using Gnu C, and to generate the correct Makefile,
could be setting CC=gcc, or setting some perl
variable, but don't remember exactly.

----
Ciprian Badescu