[Snort-users] flexresp2 is back and needs testing

pfeito pfeito at ...3422...
Mon Aug 30 04:07:03 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm currently testing flexresp2. For now I'm just using a simple rule that
terminates a FTP connection if someone tries to login with user "root".

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"FTP root login attempt!";
flow:to_server,established; content:"USER"; nocase; content:"root";
distance:1; nocase; pcre:"/^USER\sroot/smi"; classtype:suspicious-login;
sid:1000002; rev:2; resp: reset_both;)

I try to login remotely with user root, but the connection does not
terminate. I sniffed with tcpdump and I know that it the TCP RST packets are
being sent, but the connection stays up.

Then I tried the same but with both peers on the same LAN, but with the same
results. The TCP RST packets are being sent also.

I've tcpdump logs if someone is interested in looking into them.

My snort.conf-flexresp2 config
config flexresp2_interface: eth2
config flexresp2_attempts: 10

What could be going wrong?