[Snort-users] Syslogging question

Rich Adamson radamson at ...2127...
Tue Aug 24 04:45:10 EDT 2004

Steve,

Not sure what all you've tried, but consider...
1. use the snort.conf to send the alerts to the linux syslog facility,
2. configure the linux syslog facility to "handle" the incoming snort alerts
3. restart linux syslogd (required to reread config changes)
4. verify the linux syslogd is actually writing to a /var/log... file
5. when that is working, then add a linux syslog.conf statement (leave snort.conf
   alone) to forward these incoming messages to a distant machine (kiwi syslog).
   The syntax is something like "kern.crit  @kiwi.machine.com" and can be
   found in 'man syslog.conf'.
6. when all of that is working, then try messing around with forwarding syslog
   messages directly from snort to kiwi, bypassing linux syslogd.

I use snort on win32 with syslog a lot (for low volume sensors), but not
on linux systems. I faintly recall (from a long time ago) that snort on linux
writes the syslog messages via the linux OS calls (not the ip stack), and
likely requires you config to first write the alerts to the linux syslog.

All unix systems that I'm familiar with have a syslog config option to forward
syslog messages to a distant machine "after" the unix syslog function receives
the message. Remember any changes to /etc/syslog.conf requires a restart of
the linux syslogd.

Rich