[Snort-users] preprocessor arpspoof

Juan Fernandez Juan.Fernandez at ...2210...
Tue Aug 17 01:46:02 EDT 2004

How I use arpwatch with snort ?

I didn't see even the word arpwatch in snort.conf...

Sorry im new to snort.

thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Kettler [mailto:mkettler at ...4108...]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:04 PM
To: Juan Fernandez; 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] preprocessor arpspoof

At 11:14 AM 8/16/2004, Juan Fernandez wrote:
>Do I need to insert each mac address of a server that I want to monitor
>for arp poisoning?
>
>If for example I have 50 servers on the DMZ that I want them to be
>monitored for arp attacks, do I need to enter all there ips+mac addresses
>here?

Yes.. although I'd suggest using arpwatch instead.. it's a much better tool
for this kind of thing, and requires no configuration. It will keep track
of ARPs, report new stations, report changes of MAC, bogus IP addresses,
IPs that keep "flip-flopping" between two MACs, etc. It's a very handy tool.

The arpspoof preprocessor is handy if you only have one or two hosts to
monitor, but if you've got lots of hosts, it's cumbersome.