[Snort-users] high count, long time in threshold

Marc Norton marc.norton at ...1935...
Wed Aug 11 07:04:58 EDT 2004

The rule to catch 1500 syns in 60 seconds is applied to each individual
host that the rule covers - hence the 'track by_src' it does not track
1500 syns in 60 seconds for 'any-ip -> any-ip' in a cumulative fashion.
So unless a specific IP is generating 1500 syns in 60 seconds, this
threshold definition won't allow the rule to fire and be logged. I am
not sure if this helps but I wanted to be clear about the difference in
behavior that you may be seeing.