[Snort-users] Newbie: Problem with SNORT

Tue Aug 3 07:45:00 EDT 2004

Try starting it form the command line snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf and
see if you are having problems with the changes you made to the .rules
files.  If will bark at you and let you know what is happening

-----Original Message-----
From: Royce Sherman [mailto:list at ...12215...]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 11:12 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Newbie: Problem with SNORT

I have set SNORT up on RHEL 3.0.  I have followed the set-up guide for
fedora core2 from RPM.  When I try and start it, it will run for a few
minutes then die.  Looking at the logs nothing is ever log in the snort
log file.  When I look in the message log file I get: snort: FATAL
ERROR:
Undefined variable name: <some rule> .  I have disabled 6 rules so far.
What have I done wrong? Or what do I need to do to get this running
continuous?

TIA
Royce