[Snort-users] Re: I don't get any alerts when reading from file.

dimopoulos at ...12202... dimopoulos at ...12202...
Tue Aug 3 02:32:03 EDT 2004

First of all, thanks for your time!
 Now, here is the entire process I use. I have written a small program in
 C++ that reads all the .rules files that have a 'content' field and
 generates fake IP packets that match those rules. The packets contain all
 the necessary header data (IP and TCP/UDP) to match the rule along with
 the necessary payload (random but with content that matches that of the
 rule). I write these packets in hexdump format and then use the tool
 'text2pcap' of Ethereal to convert it from hexdump to tcpdump
 format,using teh command line "text2pcap -q -l 12 <source>
 <destination>", and after that I take the newly generated file and feed
 it to snort. Using the -vd switches I can see that the IP addresses,
 ports and payload are ok (i.e. should match) yet I get nothing. And the
 fake samples I use are large enough (250000 packets) that at least some
 should have triggered.