[Snort-users] Testing Snort

Jody Gilbert JDG at ...12210...
Sun Aug 1 13:25:18 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I have just installed snort for the first time and am trying to test it from
my PC.

I am having trouble testing the web-iis rules.
I have tried accessing /msadcs.dll and /cmd.exe on some of the web servers
on our LAN, but no alerts are created by snort.
I added the following rule Snort as a test, which produced plenty of alerts:
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"Test WEB-IIS";
flow:to_server; sid:1970; rev:6;)

However, when I add 'uricontent:"/msadcs.dll"; nocase;' to the above rule I
do not get any alerts.

I am new to Snort, so I imagine (hope) it's something pretty simple.

I am running Snort 2.1.3 on a Windows XP PC.

Cheers,
Jody

Jody Gilbert
IT Manager

Ovum
Cardinal Tower
12 Farringdon Road
London, EC1M 3HS

Direct Line: +44 (0) 20 7551 9002
Mobile: +44 (0) 7775 826 806
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7551 9090
Email: jdg at ...12210... <mailto:jdg at ...12210...>
www.ovum.com <http://www.ovum.com/>

Advising on the commercial impact of technology and market changes in
Telecoms, software and IT services.  Ovum has offices in London, Paris,
Cologne, Boston, Melbourne and Seoul.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and will be protected by copyright and are for the attention of the addressee only.  This email may also be privileged.

If you have received this email in error please notify us by email reply and delete it from your system.
You may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone.  Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Ovum.  Ovum accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless you are the intended recipient and such liability accords with Ovum's Terms and Conditions of Business.

If you are not the intended recipient, please note that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Ovum accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Registered Office: Ovum Holdings Limited, Cardinal Tower, 12 Farringdon Road, London EC1M 3HS, United Kingdom