[Snort-users] IDS and Firewall

Shaffer, Paul D paul.d.shaffer at ...178...
Thu Apr 29 06:19:13 EDT 2004

At 07:46 PM 4/28/2004, Matt Kettler wrote:

>There are others (ie: Paul) who feel it's better to make the
>compromise in order to gain the benefits of having an IDS on hand.

Matt, I had to start over because I was got dizzy trying to follow the back and forth in that offline email we had going.  I appreciate you ceding this point.  And I remember when those two vulnerabilities you mentioned (in our offline conversation) came out last year, but don't recall hearing about them ever being successfully exploited.

I'm sure you'll agree that generally speaking, computer security is all about countering or mitigating risk.  The old saying about the computer locked in a safe at the bottom of the ocean comes to mind.  True absolutes a few and far between.  Everything is a compromise at some level.

Taking calculated risks is a tried and true tactic for gaining the advantage over your adversary.  Being at risk and knowing it better than a false sense of security.  Don't miss the forest for the trees...

v/r

Paul