[Snort-users] where can I find info about rules?

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue Apr 27 14:47:21 EDT 2004

At 03:27 PM 4/27/2004, Marcin Laskowski wrote:
>Hi, I want to configure Snort to work properly
>in my network and the question is where can I
>find info about rules? I need information such as
>what do they do and where they should be used.

Go to http://www.snort.org/.

Look in the lower left corner for a box labeled "rules documentation"..
it's a search on a database of rule documentation.

Or you can go straight to:
http://www.snort.org/cgi-bin/sigs-search.cgi

and enter more advanced queries so you don't get such blanket results. (the
search from the main page will match the search string anywhere, but the
other page you can specify to explicitly search by SID, CVE or description.