[Snort-users] Fatal Error, Quitting..

Paul Martin pmartin at ...11611...
Mon Apr 26 13:46:07 EDT 2004

Have you checked the /etc/init.d/snort file?  There's some configuration
and directory information in there as well.

Paul Martin
Network Technician
Hilton Grand Vacations Co.
(407) 393-3034
pmartin at ...11611...

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
dlimanov at ...11654...
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 4:22 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Fatal Error, Quitting..

For some reason my snort install is blowing up loading rules file with
the following error:
"ERROR: Unable to open rules file: local.rules or /etc/snort/local.rules

Fatal Error, Quitting.."
The problem here that it's trying to load the rules from /etc/snort/ and
it's not there, since rules are located in /etc/snort/rules/ directory.
I have checked my snort.conf file and for the life of me cannot see
where it's getting /etc/snort/ from!
Is there any other place where snort will get it's configuration, even
when I run like this: snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf ? Is there some
other config location that I'm missing?
Thanks,

Dimitri