[Snort-users] Snort for WIndows newbie question...

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Apr 26 13:45:01 EDT 2004

At 10:13 AM 4/26/2004, Ambrose, Joseph wrote:
>“The procedure entry point PacketGetNetInfo could not be located in the
>dynamic link library Packet.dll.
>
>I thought I installed Snort correctly, however
..

After experiencing this myself, it appears that it's a winpcap version problem.

If you go to the source of winpcap:
http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm

Winpcap 3.0 works, but Winpcap 3.1-beta does not.

Also note that you have to un-install 3.1 in order to successfully
downgrade winpcap. You can verify the re-install worked by locating
packet.dll in your system32 directory and doing a right-click properties.
The version tab will give you the version number of packet.dll and you
should see it change after you're done.

For reference, my working version of the dll is reported as 3.0.0.18 by
windows. This may not be the only working version, but it is one that works
for me with snort 2.1.2.