[Snort-users] Yup it's the hardware question... (again)

Brian Webster bwebster at ...11660...
Thu Apr 22 11:23:07 EDT 2004

Seems as though there are a variety of opinions as to the hardware requirements for your IDS. True, it is a really subjective question but I thought there would be more documentation on the subject. The FAQ's on a variety of sights seem vague at best. Can anyone help me out ?

I was wondering if someone had some basic component specs or rule of thumb requirements for a Linux based IDS (running Snort/MySQL/apache/ACID) based on network size or activity.
The plan is to run this IDS in the internal net. I am hoping to drop this in off one of the routers and direct all traffic for all subnets by it. This will generate a significant amount of traffic. In the current test environment, behind several switches, I am seeing about 10 percent of the network traffic. This logs about 3000-6000 alerts per day. By my estimations this may jump to 50,000+ once I employ it behind the main router.
I fear I will fill my database logs quite quickly. The other concern is if the machine will keep up with the volume?
If someone out there (with a whole lot more experience than me) cares to share their wisdom of what I can expect, I would appreciate the input.