[Snort-users] Password characters that snort does not like

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Apr 22 10:40:25 EDT 2004

At 10:25 AM 4/22/2004, Harper, Patrick wrote:
>It seems to be that certain characters do not work well in the
>snort.conf.  If you set the password for mysql to something with
>characters like !@#$%& it does not like them. And snort will not start
>with that .conf file. I have not had the time to go one by one and find
>the exact offending characters are but hope to soon.  Does anyone have a
>list of these? Or maybe it is a combination or certain string that
>should not be used.

I don't know which characters are the problem, but based on my experience
with snort I'd suggest that it is likely a list of specific characters that
aren't allowed to be used without escaping them... What's likely happening
is snort's parser treats certain characters as syntax elements and get's
confused by them.

I suspect that if you want to use "pa$$word" as a password, you'd have to
enter "pa\$\$word" to escape them.

Good candidates for characters requiring escaping are characters that are
used as rule punctuation elements. The list I can think of and find by
searching the docs and snort.conf are: