[Snort-users] problems updating rules with oinkmaster

Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor Krisa.W.Rowland at ...3768...
Thu Apr 22 10:37:01 EDT 2004

My rules path is correct - that is not the problem - thanks for the tip
though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Schmehl [mailto:pauls at ...6838...]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 12:35 PM
To: Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor; 'Gus Fritschie';
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] problems updating rules with oinkmaster

--On Thursday, April 22, 2004 08:33:40 AM -0500 "Rowland, Krisa W
ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor" <Krisa.W.Rowland at ...3768...> wrote:

> I've been having the same problem - I thought it was just me.  I am
> running Snort-2.0.6.

Not too long ago, the path to the rules files changed.  If you didn't edit
oinkmaster.conf, then it will fail to update the rules because the path
wget tries to use is invalid.  You *should* be getting error messages in
your messages log, and you *should* be checking your messages log for
errors when you're troubleshooting a problem like this.

The default path that oinkmaster *used* was:
http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-current.tar.gz

That path is no longer valid.  You need to edit your conf file to point to
the correct path for *your* version of snort.

The path for snort 2.1 is:
url = http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2_1.tar.gz

Look on the webpage, in the /dl/rules/ page for the correct path for your
version of snort.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas