[Snort-users] snort_acid_rh9.pdf

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Wed Apr 21 16:34:00 EDT 2004

--On Wednesday, April 21, 2004 11:14 AM +0200 "Steffen \"Maetzky (extern)"
<Steffen.Maetzky at ...11508...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about P. Harpers installation-guide:
>
> 1) mysql> grant INSERT,SELECT on root.* to snort at ...274...;
>

> why root and not snort?

No particular reason.  You can use any username that you create that has
the correct rights.

> grant INSERT,SELECT,UPDATE on snort.* to snort at ...274... identified by
> 'password';
>
> I think UPDATE is needed to update the last_sid value of table
> snort.sensor and CREATE,DELETE are not needed to put data into a
> database

The only thing you need is select and update.

> for other sensors?

Every sensor would need a user with the same rights - select and update.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member