[Snort-users] Low Snort performances

Richard Bejtlich richard_bejtlich at ...131...
Mon Apr 19 08:32:12 EDT 2004

Tod Beardsley wrote:

I haven't seen many reports of Snort successfully
running on *BSD with SMP. I don't follow the BSDs very
closely, but I know SMP support fairly new (1 year?)
in FreeBSD.... Googling... yep.
http://www.freebsd.org/smp/. Well, that makes me
happy.

--

FreeBSD has offered SMP in its RELEASEs since at least
3.0 in October 1998. [0]  Granted, it had problems.

The August 2000 Daemon News issue explains why the SMP
code needed to be revamped. [1]

5.0, released in January 2003, was the first to
incorporate SMP code donated by BSD/OS. [2]  This new
SMP implementation was called SMPng.

I personally run Snort on FreeBSD 5.2.1 but haven't
had to try SMP hardware yet.  I do operate a dual
processor server for other functions running FreeBSD
4.9 STABLE.

Sincerely,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com