[Snort-users] Chat/IM

Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor Krisa.W.Rowland at ...3768...
Wed Apr 14 10:59:02 EDT 2004

I think it definitely would.  I have since blocked a few chat sites and a
few default ports which seem to have slowed down my chat traffic for now.
But this will probably be until the users take another route.  Thanks for
the help.

Kria

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438... [mailto:Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438...]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 11:20 AM
To: Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor
Cc: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Chat/IM

Krisa,

As this is a fairly frequently asked question, I am suprised that we still
have not gotten a good answer. I can tell you that I have successfully been
blocking P2P and Chat for a while now using a few combination layers of
security. I am working to develop a document that will hopefully outline
this in more detail. For now, I can tell you that I am using firewall rules
to block Yahoo, MSN and AIM/ICQ servers in combination with a customized
block list for Snort with FlexResp and NTop to monitor any additional chats
that crop up. Please let me know if a solution like this would be worth the
documentation.

Best Regards,
Mark

                      "Rowland, Krisa W

                      ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor"             To:
"'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'" <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

                      <Krisa.W.Rowland at ...11641...        cc:

                      army.mil>                           Subject:
[Snort-users] Chat/IM

                      Sent by:

                      snort-users-admin at ...4626...

                      ceforge.net

                      04/13/2004 02:26 PM

Does anyone have an effective way of blocking chat/IM?

Krisa Rowland
ERDC Information Assurance Team
(SAIC Contractor)
3909 Halls Ferry Rd.,  Bldg. 8000