[Snort-users] IDS provisioning site analysis tool?

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Tue Apr 13 08:18:08 EDT 2004

Hi Jon,

> That's all well and good for an installed IDS product, but it sounds to
> me as if RNA is both a compensation for a lack of administrator
> knowledge and an ongoing false-positive reduction technique.  I think
> what I'm looking for is more of a tool to help admins understand what
> their environment is prior to deploying IDS.

RNA can also run as a stand alone process to do the things you
describe, we've just taken the additional step to integrate automated
analysis with it for a variety of uses for overloaded admins who don't
have the time/skill to properly tune their IDSes.  RNA's basic
functionality is to provide you with a map of the network environment
including lots of data that's essential to deploying your IDS properly
like the OSes and services that are running on your hosts and the
topology of the network in addition to the existence of the hosts
themselves.  You can run this before you deploy your IDS to understand
the protection profile you should be running and get the added benefit
of RNA letting you see changes that might be critical to your IDS
configuration in real-time.

> Most of this is based on my experiences with my current IDS setup.  If
> only relied on the snort.org rulesets, I'd be missing a whole slew of
> traffic that, while not hostile from the signature standpoint, is at a
> minimum anomalous (i.e. IP addresses that are not our sourcing traffic
> that is destined to IP addresses which are also not our, etc.) and at
> worst point to serious chinks in our network armor.  We've done a
> number
> of tcpdump experiments, gradually winnowing out stuff that we don't
> want
> to see and it has helped us develop custom rules that are extremely
> good
> at finding these oddities.  I was hoping to find either a tool or
> enough
> people interested in such a tool to get one written.

RNA can do flow tracking and analysis to help you build those "odd
ball" rules too, I guess it depends on what your specific requirements
are but I think it would cover them better than you might think.  After
all, I originally built RNA to produce just that sort of data for
Snort...

      -Marty